You need a vacation – Doctor’s Orders!
Yes, I’m going to follow my own orders and take a much deserved and needed vacation. This one will be for the history books! After 2 ½ years of deferment, I’m finally going on safari to South Africa with two of my dear friends. I barely can believe it’s true – having had so many disappointments and rescheduling, it doesn’t really seem real. But it is!
At Amazing over 40, I like to lead by example, and travel is one of my passions! It’s one of the ways that you can practice self-care while improving your mental and physical health. As you’ve read in previous blog posts, stress has a profoundly negative impact on your health by increasing inflammation, leading to heart disease, diabetes and cancer, etc. Reducing stress, by taking a well-needed vacation, will improve your health!
5 Health Benefits of Taking a Vacation:
- Decreased risk of heart disease. Heart disease is the number 1 killer in women. With chronic stress, our bodies are exposed to continuing high levels of cortisol which increases the risk of stroke and heart attack. By taking time for yourself, your stress levels decrease as well as the overall body’s inflammation.
- Increased Motivation/Clarity/Focus – have you ever wondered why you feel more productive after coming back from a relaxing trip? It’s true, with time off our brains can shut down, get replenished and more motivated for when we return to our workplace. (This is even true when you take one day off!)
- Better sleep and sense of well-being – again, with less cortisol streaming through your bloodstream, sleep quality and quantity improve allowing you to feel refreshed when you wake up in the morning. No more pushing the snooze button – you are ready to face each day with energy and a positive outlook.
- Less Burnout – Feeling overwhelmed? Like you can’t ever get over the hump of work and other responsibilities? Vacation can help get you out of your rut and give you a new perspective.
- Increased happiness- Isn’t that what life’s really about- being happy and content with your life and how you choose to live it? By taking time for a vacation, you feel more in control of your life, less helpless and much happier!
Now, are you ready to plan a vacation? Or if you can’t leave home for long, how about a “stay-cation” by taking a weekend off? If you’re San Diego based, heading to the Gaslamp for fun, or going to Temecula for a wine-tasting tour, or heading north to explore the art galleries in Laguna Beach?
Wherever you choose to go, please hit reply and share your vacation plans with us! I’d love to hear what you are up to and how you’re improving your health! Also, be on the look-out for some amazing photos that I will be posting from my safari adventure in Botswana and Zimbabwe, South Africa!
In health and happiness,
P.S. For those of you who have always wanted to visit Italy with its idyllic landscape, delicious food and incredible wine, come join me for my retreat in Umbria, Italy – Oct. 5 – 12, 2022.
Spaces are filling up so check it out!