What’s In Your Make-Up?
Probably a lot more than you thought! The disconcerting reality is that there are an average of 168 different chemicals in the products we use for our bodies – including shampoos, conditioners, make-up, nail polish, hairsprays, moisturizers, and cleansers. Plus, we use some of these everyday, which adds up to a chock load of accumulated unwanted toxins. These then can wreak havoc on our immune system leading to a toxic burden for our lymph nodes, liver, and other major organ systems.
Crazy, right? At Amazing Over 40, we are here to help educate you to be healthier, happier, wiser and to be AMAZING! And to help us age gracefully and naturally. Who would have known we were unintentionally subjecting our bodies to such a toxic load? It is essential that we know what goes IN, ON, and AROUND our bodies. We know that there are chemicals in our environment – the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the foods we eat- some of these we have control over, others we may not. Can we better decipher what we put on our skin?
The answer is YES! Our skin is the largest organ in our bodies – working as a barrier to foreign elements which might cause harm and enter our bloodstream. For instance, when we put a moisturizer on our skin, depending on the type of moisturizer, it may penetrate our skin and then get absorbed into our bloodstream. This is known as “transdermal” absorption and can be used for many hormonal products for perimenopause and menopause.
What are the top toxic culprits?
1. Parabens – Parabens are an entire family of chemicals that work as preservatives, such as methylparabens, butyl parabens, etc. These can mimic hormones in our bodies, leading to hormonal imbalances, and possible cancers, and are also known as “hormone disruptors”.
2. Phthalates: Phthalates are a group of chemicals used to make plastics more flexible and harder to break. They are often called plasticizers. Some phthalates are used as solvents (dissolving agents) for other materials. They are used in hundreds of products, such as vinyl flooring, adhesives, detergents, lubricating oils, automotive plastics, plastic clothes (raincoats), and personal-care products (soaps, shampoos, hair sprays, and nail polishes).
3. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate ( SLS) or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES): Sodium laureth sulfate (sometimes referred to as SLES) is used in cosmetics as a detergent and also to make products bubble and foam. It is common in shampoos, shower gels, and facial cleansers. It is also found in household cleaning products, like dish soap.
4. BHT : BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) are closely related synthetic antioxidants used as preservatives in lipsticks and moisturizers, among other cosmetics. They are also widely used as food preservatives.
5. Lead: Shouldn’t this just be in #2 Pencils? Unfortunately, lead is all around us. It is widely present in minerals and ores from which a number of chemicals used as ingredients in cosmetics are produced. Certain colorants used in lipstick do contain tiny amounts of lead because it is virtually impossible to eliminate all contaminants.
6. Formaldehyde: Yes, one would think this was only to help preserve tissue such as the frog we dissected in high school biology class. But it’s also in our skin care products! Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable gas often used in cosmetics. Formaldehyde is used to help protect cosmetic products against contamination by bacteria during storage and during continued use.
Luckily, there are many more natural products which do NOT contain these ingredients and can allow you to look your best without inflicting harm to your body. One of the best sites for information regarding harmful skin care products, as well as overall amazing health resources, is www.ewg.org.
One of my favorite SAFE skin-care lines is Just Pure Essentials, of which I am a supporter and distributor. The CEO, Laura Stearn, has spent over 30 years in women’s health industries working tirelessly to find answers to make her life, and others, the best it can be. The motto for all of Just Pure Essentials products is “go green.” Being green and natural, they are better for both our bodies and our planet. These products do NOT contain any of the harmful toxins mentioned above and can be trusted to be continuously chemical and preservative free, all natural, non-GMO and Organic. These important features promote healthy, vibrant skin, are gentle and effective – as well as safe for our earth!
What can you do to protect yourself and your family from unknown toxins?
Become a label reader. If you can’t pronounce the name of the ingredient, it’s probably not good for your skin and body. Many companies claim that they are “natural” but when you turn the box/bottle around you’ll be unhappily surprised to see that the product is not as clean as it claims to be.
Click Here for a recent video broadcast with the CEO, Laura Stearn, of Just Pure Essentials. I hope you enjoy it and please share with your friends and others who may want to protect their bodies while still looking and feeling AMAZING!
Coupon code: drdiana
In health and happiness,